Library Logo
Find Books & More:
Search Google or Site
only search DPL

Help

  • Mission & History
  • Hours
  • Board
  • Contact Us
  • Policies
  • Newsletters
  • Employment

Library at night - Photo by Mark Romine

 MISSION

The Danville Public Library connects the community with knowledge, information and culture.

+ Click to read our HISTORY

The first library in Danville was probably the Vermilion County Library, described in the Danville Enquirer, on November 4, 1837. It was open to all who would pay $1.50 to subscribe. It had a collection of approximately 118 volumes at the time of the news article. "The library is kept upstairs in the room immediately contiguous to the Printing Office and directly opposite the United States Hotel." (This location has not been located on any existing map of Danville).

Library StatueThe next impetus for a public library as we now know it for the citizens of Danville came in 1864 when James Culbertson of the First Presbyterian Church bequeathed his collection of books to form a nucleus for a public library.

Three other collections were ultimately consolidated to form the Danville Public Library in 1883. After renting library space in three downtown locations over twenty years, the Board of Trustees applied to Andrew Carnegie, a philanthropist, for funds to build a home for the library. Carnegie granted the city $40,000 and construction began in 1903.

On November 7, 1904, the public was welcomed into the new building. The library was so popular that, by 1911, the Library had outgrown the space in the new building. A second request for construction funds from Mr. Carnegie was denied, thus beginning the re-arranging of services and books that was to continue for 80 years.

The only major addition to the Carnegie building in 90 years was made possible by a $5000 bequest from longtime library trustee Augustus Webster, who died in 1923. As a result of his generosity, the fiction stack room behind the circulation desk was built in 1929. In 1977, a referendum to build a new library failed. In 1980 a new east entrance was constructed in order to comply with handicapped accessibility laws.

When property located on the same block as the present library became available in 1993, the Board of Trustees began planning for a new, modern, efficient library building. In order to achieve this goal, a unique partnership was forged. The City Council committed $2.5 million, and the "Bring the Dream Alive in '95" committee of the Library Foundation worked to raise $1.5 million in private gifts from nearly 1,300 citizens. Success was achieved on May 26, 1994. This time, instead of one man paying for the new library building, the entire community was involved.

The Secretary of State/State Librarian, George Ryan, provided $400,000 to the project in the form of a library construction grant which allowed the purchase of new shelving and furnishings for the new 2-story 39,800 square foot building.

Actual construction began in mid-August, 1994. On September 29, 1995, the general contractor, English Brothers of Champaign, turned over the keys to the library's Assistant Director, Phill Cohee.

The Carnegie Building was closed September 30, after a Great Radio Flyer Wagon Train of 550 children initiated the moving of the books by moving part of the children's collection to the new building in their wagons.

The grand opening for the new Danville Public Library was held at 4:30pm on Tuesday, November 7, 1995, exactly 91 years to the day the Carnegie building opened to Danville residents.

Thus began a significant new chapter in the life of the Danville Public Library. "Dreams Come True."

HOURS

We are open Monday-Thursday from 9:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m and Friday-Saturday from 9:00 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. We're closed Sundays and the following holidays:

  • New Year's Day
  • Memorial Day
  • Independence Day
  • Labor Day
  • Day before Thanksgiving -- close 5 p.m.
  • Thanksgiving Day
  • December 23 -- close 5 p.m.
  • Christmas Eve
  • Christmas Day
  • New Year's Eve -- close 5 p.m.

In addition, the library is closed for all-day staff workshops twice a year, in the spring and fall. These days will be posted on the library's home page.

 LIBRARY BOARD OF TRUSTEES

  • Linda Bolton, President
  • Mark Denman, Vice President
  • Jim Knoblauch, Treasurer
  • Jane A. Andrews, Secretary
  • Martha Espino
  • Cindy Parr-Barrett
  • Melissa Rome
  • Mary Reik
  • Bill Satterwhite, Member Emeritus
  • George Vrentas, Member Emeritus
  • Jim Kouzmanoff, Member Emeritus

 MEETING DOCUMENTS (posted for at least 60 days)

LIBRARY BOARD - MEETING AGENDAS

LIBRARY BOARD - APPROVED MEETING MINUTES

BUILDING COMMITTEE - MEETING AGENDAS

EXECUTIVE COMMITTEE - MEETING AGENDAS

FINANCE COMMITTEE - MEETING AGENDAS

POLICY COMMITTEE - MEETING AGENDAS

TECHNOLOGY COMMITTEE - MEETING AGENDAS

SCHEDULE OF LIBRARY BOARD AND BOARD COMMITTEE MEETINGS

 BY-LAWS

 PHONE NUMBERS

(Area Code 217)

Administration/Business Office: 477-5220 Foundation: 477-5223, ext. 114
Circulation/Checkout: 477-5220 Outreach Services: 477-5227
Audiovisual Area: 477-5224 Adult Services/Archives: 477-5228
Children's Room: 477-5225 Teen Space: 477-5226
FAX: 477-5230

 

 ADMINISTRATION & DEPARTMENT HEADS

 SERVICE POLICIES

 FREEDOM OF INFORMATION ACT

Interested parties may make a request to view or obtain a copy of public records by submitting their request in writing. A requestor may either submit a request by email or letter submitted by mail or fax. This form is available for your convenience.

Once received, the library has five (5) business days to respond to the request.

Requests for Danville Public Library-related public records---administration, departmental and general records---are to be forwarded to:

General information about Danville Public Library is available on this page along with an organizational chart. Library board information may be found under the Board tab in the About Us section of this website.

 BENEFITS OFFERED THROUGH IMRF

Duty to post information pertaining to benefits offered through the Illinois Municipal Retirement Fund.

Per 5 ILCS 120/7.3 (P.A. 097-0609), "within 6 business days after an employer participating in the Illinois Municipal Retirement Fund approves a budget, that employer must post on its website the total compensation package for each employee having a total compensation package that exceeds $75,000 per year [or]...post a physical copy of this information at the principal office of the employer..."

To view the compensation report, please visit the Administration Office on the second floor of the library during open library hours.

NEWSLETTERS DPL newsletter
 
Current Issue (Winter 2019)
 
Past Issues:
2018:  Winter   |   Spring  |  Summer  |  Fall
2017:  Winter   |   Spring  |  Summer  |  Fall
2016:  Winter   |   Spring  |  Summer  |  Fall
2015:  Winter   |   Spring  |  Summer  |  Fall
2014:  Winter   |   Spring  |  Summer  |  Fall
2013:  Winter   |   Spring  |  Summer  |  Fall
2012:  Winter   |   Spring  |  Summer  |  Fall
2011:  Winter   |   Spring  |  Summer  |  Fall

Also check out Wowbrary, our free weekly e-newsletter that lists new items added to the library's collection.

EMPLOYMENT AT DPL

No openings at this time.