217-477-5228 | FAX 217-477-5230
Mail queries: 319 N. Vermilion St., Danville, IL 61832
Email queries: Reference_Desk@danvillepubliclibrary.org
Or click here to fill out a request.
(please include your postal mail address when making a request, even an email request)
Located on the second floor, Reference & Archives offers the following services:
- Public access computers for adults, ages 18 and up, and wireless Internet
- Genealogy/local history reference and research assistance (Check out our genealogy links here.)
- Programs – Tuesday Tech Classes, Music Trivia Nights, Adult Subscription Boxes, and more!
- Reference and readers’ advisory assistance from library staff
- Memory Lab for digitizing your old photos, home movies, or other old media formats for archival purposes.
Programs & Projects
- Coloring Contest: Choose from among 5 pictures to color for a chance to win. Open to all ages.
- Explore More Illinois: Free and discounted admission to cultural attractions in Illinois
- Guías en Español / Spanish Guides: ¿No sabe cómo usar algunos de nuestros servicios gratuitos? ¡Tenemos una colección de videos tutoriales para ayudarle! / Not sure how to use some of our services? We have a set of tutorial videos here for you!
- Interactive Movie Kits: Play games while you watch your favorite movies!
- Library Visits: Want to bring your group to the library, or have the library come visit you? Reach out at the link.
- Museum Adventure Pass: Free and discounted passes to museums in the Chicago area.
- Personal Shopping: Our staff can help you select books.
- Suggest a Purchase: Let us know what you’d like us to add to our collection.
- Used Book Sale: Pay-What-You-Want donation at our Used Book Sale.
Public Access Computers and Wireless Internet
The Reference & Archives Department has 8 public-access Internet computers installed with popular software applications (Microsoft Word, Excel, etc.):
- Eight computers are available for 1-hour sessions (limit of two sessions per day).
Users must have a valid library card from Danville Public Library or another area public library.
For those traveling through town who do not have a valid library card, the library can issue a day pass. The library also offers internet only library cards for patrons visiting town for an extended period of time, patrons without a permanent address or patrons who live outside town boundaries, as well as other cases. The library sells flash drives for patrons who wish to save their work.
The library also offers free wireless Internet access to people with laptops, tablets, phones, or other devices that access the Internet.
The Archives Room in the Reference & Archives Department houses the genealogy and local history collection. There are books, census records and newspapers on microfilm, and vertical files.
Areas Covered & Policies
The collection’s primary focus is Vermilion County, Illinois, including materials from Champaign, Clark, Coles, Douglas, Edgar, Ford, and Iroquois counties in the state of Illinois and Benton, Fountain, Montgomery, Parke, Vermillion, Vigo, and Warren counties in the state of Indiana. Our secondary focus is genealogical materials from the migratory states into Illinois: Connecticut, Delaware, Indiana, Kentucky, Maryland, Maine, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New York, North Carolina, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, South Carolina, Tennessee, Vermont, Virginia, and West Virginia.
Types of Material:
- Danville City Directories, 1874-present
- Danville & Vermilion County, IL newspapers, 1833-present
- Sanborn Fire Insurance Maps, 1884-1970
- Vermilion County histories
- Vermilion County authors and biographies
- Vermilion County Birth, Marriage, Death, Deeds, Wills, Naturalization Records
- Federal Population Census, 1830-1880, 1930-1940; non-population census
- Illinois State Census and military census
- Civil War Collection
- Danville municipal documents
- State of Illinois documents; School District #118
- Periodicals and extensive archives files.
Use of Material
The Archives Room Collection is a non-circulating collection and must be used within the library.
Reference & Archives staff will reply to specific requests, which can be answered briefly. We cannot answer lengthy requests. Genealogy Research Fee: for genealogy inquiries by telephone or mail that request the information be mailed, the fee will be $10.00 per requests that take over 30 minutes to complete. This fee includes up to three (3) photocopies and the postage. Additional copies will be $0.25 per sheet. Send written requests to: Adult Services Department, Danville Public Library, 319 N. Vermilion St., Danville, IL 61832.
Photocopies from print materials are $0.15 per page for 8-½” x 11” copies, and $0.30 per page for 11” x 17” copies. Copies from microfilm materials are $0.25 per page for 8-½” x 11” copies and $0.50 per page for 11” x 17” copies for print materials and $0.25 per page from microfilm materials.
Illinois newspapers and photocopies of materials not found in Archives may be obtained through interlibrary loan at the Adult Services Desk for patrons with valid library cards. In addition, patrons with valid library cards may borrow books at no charge from the Mid-Continent Public Library (Independence, MO) and the National Genealogical Society’s collection at the St. Louis County Library.
FamilySearch Affiliate Library Services
DPL is a FamilySearch affiliate library of the FamilySearch’s Research and Library System. This designation means library patrons have convenient access to billions of birth, marriage, death, census, land, and court records from over 130 countries. Please call Adult Services staff at 217-477-5228 with questions regarding using FamilySearch in the library.