Danville Public Library provides literacy and informational services to our community with friendly staff committed to excellent customer service.
Library Assistant II, Outreach Services
Paraprofessional position involving some professional and administrative duties, knowledge of specific techniques required in the department, ability to meet the public, high degree of accuracy. Under general supervision of a designated supervisor, and in some accordance with established operating procedures, to perform moderately complex library work involving a wide variety of duties which require specific functional knowledge of, and experience in, library procedure and systems.
- Under general supervision of department manager, responsible for overall operation of the homebound and nursing home programs, library service to public safety inmates, dialysis center, senior housing and assisted living centers.
- Assists patrons in selection of library materials.
- Plans and implements library programs, activities, and displays.
- Coordinates curbside pickup.
- Coordinates staff and volunteers in delivery of service to outreach centers.
- Circulates and performs searches for materials through online catalog.
- Assists the department manager as liaison between the library and agency representatives, volunteers, patrons, and cooperating agencies.
- Assists with production of public relations materials and programs.
- Provides reader’s advisory services for Outreach patrons.
- Participates in community-organized events as needed.
- With department manager, trains Outreach Services staff (Library Assistant I).
- With department manager, supervises and trains Outreach Services volunteers.
- Responsible for the operation of the department in the temporary absence of department head.
- Assists with the processing of print materials within the department.
- Furnishes information about library programs and activities, rules, and services.
- Maintains an orderly, safe, and quiet environment for all patrons, and takes action as needed to ensure that environment.
- This job specification should not be construed to imply that these requirements are the exclusive standards of the position. Incumbents will follow any other instructions and perform any other related duties, as may be required.
This position is a full-time (37.5 hours/week), exempt, position and reports to the Public Services Manager.
Qualifications: Two to four years of college or equivalent and a minimum of two years of public library experience, ability to meet the public, to attend to details, to be accurate and to carry tasks through to completion and to perform consistently high quality work of a responsible nature with minimum supervision.
Must be able to drive a van. Must have an acceptable driving record. Must be able to lift 20-25 lbs., bend, stoop, reach, push and pull loaded book carts. Proficiency with computers, technology, and the Internet. Flexible schedule.
Compensation: $29,361.46/year plus a full benefits package.
Residency requirement: Must live in Illinois either in Danville or within five miles of Danville city limits.
Interested candidates should submit completed application and resume to Reno Torres at email@example.com. Candidates must apply by 6:00 p.m. on Friday, November 6, 2020. Interviews will be scheduled for the following week.
We don’t just sit around reading books all day!
Many people apply at libraries because they love books and reading, and while that’s great — we want everyone to love books and reading — libraries need people persons who are organized and good with details.
We answer lots of questions, help library users find materials or access our computers, and plan and present programs for people of all ages. Some library staff update our library catalog records and label new items. Other folks keep our building, financial, and technology systems and procedures safe and working well.
All positions require some form of working with the public and most require a working familiarity with computers and common computer applications. Most positions require some sort of light lifting or pushing of carts of materials.
About half of our positions are part-time. All positions are year-round appointments and most require some evening and weekend work. Some internships or other temporary positions may become available from time to time.
To be considered for a library position:
- Fill out an application, making certain all information is filled out completely and legibly.
- Sign the application.
- Email your application to firstname.lastname@example.org; mail it to or drop it off in person at 319 N. Vermilion St., Danville, IL 61832; or fax it to 217-477-5230.
- Keep your contact information and hours of availability up-to-date.
Applications will remain in consideration for six months. You may submit a resume with your application, although it is not necessary unless designated in the specific position description.
To ask any questions about the application process, email email@example.com or call the Business Office at 217-477-5223, ext. 117.
Danville Public Library is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Benefits and Retirement Savings
Eligible library employees receive health, dental, vision, and ADD insurance; vacation, personal, and sick leave. Retirement savings are through the Illinois Municipal Retirement Fund (IMRF). Other benefits may apply.