Lisa Abdelghani, Children’s Department Manager
Located on the first floor, the Children’s Department offers services and programs for children from birth through age 11 (children under 8 must be accompanied by a caregiver):
- Public access computers for children and their caregivers and wireless Internet
- Summer reading programs and other literacy-based and special interest programs throughout the year
- Reference and readers’ advisory assistance from library staff
- Book collections separated by reading level and AV collections geared toward children; also a parent/caregiver book collection
Programs & Projects
- After School Crafts: New crafts each week.
- Children’s Art Challenge: Monthly art contest for children 0-13.
- Coloring Contest: Choose from among 5 pictures to color for a chance to win. Open to all ages.
- Explore More Illinois: Free and discounted admission to cultural attractions in Illinois.
- Guías en Español / Spanish Guides: ¿No sabe cómo usar algunos de nuestros servicios gratuitos? ¡Tenemos una colección de videos tutoriales para ayudarle! / Not sure how to use some of our services? We have a set of tutorial videos here for you!
- Interactive Movie Kits: Play games while you watch your favorite movies!
- Letters About Literature: Writing contest by the State of Illinois
- Library Visits: Want to bring your group to the library, or have the library come visit you? Reach out at the link.
- Museum Adventure Pass: Free and discounted passes to museums in the Chicago area.
- Personal Shopping: Our staff can help you select books.
- StoryWalk®: Enjoy a walk while you read a book. New book each month.
- Suggest a Purchase: Let us know what you’d like us to add to our collection.
- Tablets for Tweens: iPads available for Tween use, pre-installed with games and apps that are sure to capture the imagination and promote lifelong learning.
- Tween Subscription Book Club: Bimonthly subscription with a book and fun surprises! Open to ages 10-13.
- Used Book Sale: Pay-What-You-Want donation at our Used Book Sale.
- YouTube Channel: Check out story times, crafts, and more!
Computers and Wireless Internet
The Children’s Department has twelve public-access Internet computers installed with popular software applications (Microsoft Word, Excel, etc.):
- Ten computers are available for the use of children for 1-hour sessions (limit of two sessions per day).
- Two “caregiver” computers are available for adults with children using the Children’s Department resources. The computers are available for 1-hour sessions (limit of two sessions per day).
Also available are iPads and other technology for children. The library also offers free wireless Internet access to people with laptops, tablets, phones, or other devices that access the Internet.
Tours can be arranged for preschool groups, school classes, scout troops, etc. Call 217-477-5225 to schedule a visit.
Arts & Crafts
Authors and Books
- The Baby Sitters Club
- Judy Blume
- BookFLIX — online literacy resource presenting classic video storybooks to build a love of reading and learning (requires your Danville Public Library card barcode to use). Video tutorial.
- Jan Brett
- Eric Carle
- The Children’s Literature Homepage
- Virginia Hamilton
- Magic School Bus
- NoveList K-8 Plus
- Dav Pilkey
Math & Science Help
- A+ Math
- Career Girls — Video-based career exploration tool for girls, with an emphasis on Science, Technology, Engineering and Math (STEM) careers.
Parent Book/Internet/Movie Guides
- Children’s Literature Recommended Books and Bestsellers
- KIDS FIRST! — Reviews of 1,800+ films, videos, DVDs, audio recordings, TV programs and CD-ROMs for children, from the The Coalition for Quality Children’s Media
- Internet Safety 101 — age-based guidelines
- NetSmartz — covers social media, gaming, cyberbullying, online predators, and more
- Screen It! — Movie reviews designed to help parents decide what is appropriate for their kids
School and Reference Information
Search Engines for Kids
- Cybersleuth Kids
- Fact Monster
- Kid’s Search Engine
- Safe Search Kids
- Teach the Children Well